Sunday, April 09, 2006

Musik Cube Review

Recently I got tired of iTunes for whatever reason and decided to try to find an open source version of it. I stumbled onto Musik Cube which is built on SQL. Once I was finished downloading the 2.7 MB file (notice a LOT smaller then iTunes, but will it pack as much?)I ran the setup which was highly customizable and ran through in a jippy, and launched the program.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
As this was the first time I had launched the program ,it gave me a dialog box which asked which folders I wanted to synchronize, Naturally I chose my iTunes Music Folder.
It imported all of my song with one problem. You see I have a tendency to update my ID3 Tags the minute A new version comes out, this being the case they were version 2.4. MusikCube being in Beta only supports up to 2.3, I quickly fixed this by downgrading my ID3 tags via iTunes. And then returned and in the right click menu found the Reload from tags command, which overall was one of my favorite commands.

Image hosting by TinyPic

Other Features

After this My Music Collection sat in Musik Cube just like it did in iTunes, Perfect.
So now I decided to play around with the other features.

Dynamic Playlists: Musik Cubes version of Smart Playlists. It comes with 5 preset ones and in order to make your own you must know SQL.

Overall although Musik Cube has a long way to go before it can be a true iTunes competitor it is BASSICALLY complete.It also dosent support videos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home